Now that I have had two children, I have realized something about sleep deprivation. 1) It stinks. 2) It results in an automatic iPod that plays in my head at all hours of the night when I am awake with the baby. This iPod cannot be controlled, it cannot be programmed, and it is driving me crazy.
I LOVE music, so you’d think some of the many excellent songs I listen to throughout a day would be added to the playlist. But no, instead, I get many of the annoying songs that I may hear, or, in most cases, that are a result of having a toddler that likes Elmo. Blech.
So here is a playlist of past and current songs that get stuck on repeat in my head at night:
1. The Elmo Song. Oh, how I cannot STAND Elmo. I want to banish him from my house, but considering Eila has some affection for the furry red creature, this is a slow process. Thankfully, this song hasn’t been stuck in my head for the past couple of weeks, but now that I have written about it, I am somewhat fearful it is going to return. Elmo is a true member of the axis of evil.
2. Donuts for Benny. Normally, I love Veggietales, and one of their newer videos, St. Nicholas: A Story of Joyful Giving, is one of my favorites. However, the silly song included in this movie, Donuts for Benny, about a dog who is given donuts and begins singing and dancing, is not one of my favorites. I have heard it way too many times in my head at 1am, and even worse, it is the song the dog sings within the song that gets stuck in play, not the actual song itself.
3. There are some songs I like that I hear over and over during the night, like Steven Curtis Chapman’s song “Heaven is the Face” (you can hear it here http://www.stevencurtischapman.com. It’s a gorgeous song written about the recent death of one of his little girls and tragedy in general I highly recommend it.
4. Forever by Chris Brown. Okay, I’m not a fan of Chris Brown the person, and I haven’t heard any of his other songs that I am aware of, but 1) this song is very catchy and YES I like it, but 2) Eila LOVES watching the wedding entrance video on YouTube that was parodied on The Office. Jill and Kevin, I still love your originality as well as your dance moves and those of your wedding party, but oh how I wish I could get Forever out of my head. (By the way, a parody video on a divorce court entrance for this couple on YouTube is hysterical and meant in fun (I hope).
5. Another Veggietales silly song…Bellybutton. I actually like this one as opposed to Donuts for Benny, but you can only hear “I need to tell you somethin’…I don’t got a bellybutton” so many times while stumbling through a 4am diaper change and feeding before being driven a little loopy.
6. Okay, one more Veggietales song (ummm…this is getting embarrassing)- “I Can Love”- also from the Saint Nicholas: A Story of Joyful Living movie. Good song, very sweet lyrics, but too catchy and therefore stuck on the sleep deprivation iPod.
7. David Crowder Band- How He Loves Us. At least this one I like and it reminds me of God’s love for me, even when I am frustrated and grumbling because Asher has ignored his ability to go five hours between feedings so that he can eat more frequently, say, every three. Darn growth spurts.
8. Home by Daughtry. Love the lyrics, love his voice. Don’t mind this one so much. That’s all I can say or my husband may not like it…
9. Let the Waters Rise by MikesChair. Also one I don’t mind.
10. And for the sake of ending with the predictable and neat listing of 10, let’s throw in a little Baby Got Back. It’s been awhile, but this has been known to slip into rotation from time to time. Don’t ask.
Yeah, that’s probably enough for now.
What songs get stuck in your head?